Newly-minted Ship Guild Vice President, Al Ponessa makes an appearance in the Daily Local News!
Al Ponessa of West Goshen has been sailing since 1964, spending 28 years in the Navy, but before he volunteered with the Philadelphia Ship Preservation Guild he never thought he would be interested in sailing on a tall ship, like Gazela.
Since we last left off, Gazela and Jupiter were featured in the Old City Seaport Festival right here in Philadelphia. The weekend started with a parade of ships, lead by Gazela and included Pride of Baltimore II, Kalmar Nyckel, Mystic Whaler, Virginia, A. J. Meerwald, and Hindu.
More about the festival and the WHYY FM fundraiser after the jump.
We have two interesting media mentions recently. The big event in September was the production of The Sea Plays held on board Gazela from Sept. 12 to Sept. 23. Check out Toby Zinman’s column in the Inquirer after the jump.
A Portuguese site also offers a short Gazela profile. Tony Souza provides a translation from the blog “Roda do Leme” which means Ship’s Steering Wheel. This is the blog site of Tiago Neves a maritime historian from Aveiro, Portugal.
Welcome to new members Andy Creyer and Stephanie Farra who not only joined but participated in Sail Handling and the ship move to Pier 3…way to jump right in…and Andy lives in Reading.
It was good to see Peter O’Toole up from Florida and helping out on Gazela…he ‘supervised’ the disassembly of the sail locker as Susan Clarke and Laura Bogan finessed the pieces into the hold.
We received an e-mail from former members Ann and Rick Pantaleoni stating that they will be back.
Al Ponessa included a great video link in his newsletter last night showing news footage of Gazela at Schaefer’s Canal House on the return trip from Norfolk in June.
Lots of other newsworthy developments as well. More good reasons to Subscribe to the newsletter!. You can read the full newsletter following the jump but here are some highlights:
- On Saturday, July 13 we celebrated Paul Parson’s full life in the Quaker way on board Gazela. Over 50 friends, shipmates and relatives, including his daughter Naomi Paskins-Parsons and partner Beth Scheinfeld, shared fond memories of Paul.
- Keep posted for some more summer fun with plays, art shows, etc. taking place on the deck of Gazela. Crew calls will be coming as dates are firmed up.
- Tony Souza is building two more dories for Gazela. Volunteers needed. Check out progress.
- For new members and those who need a refresher, let Al know if you are interested in Level 1 Training. For prospective members, you can contact the guild office if you would like become a member and take part.
- Philadelphia Sailing Club will be conducting an Intermediate Sailing Skills training session in Bala Cynwyd at the Cynwyd Club on Aug 24 from 8:30 to 4:00.
Here’s a short overview of plans for short-term and long-term Gazela repairs. From KYW:
Philadelphia’s tall ship, Gazela, will be sailing up to Staten Island, NY next month for a short, two-week inspection haul.
But those responsible for maintaining the historic ship are also looking for a drydock to perform some longer-term maintenance.